My web site is devoted to medical and treatment information about this rare cancer. My blog is devoted to sharing what has been the more difficult part of the journey for me, the emotional and spiritual road I've traveled as a rare cancer survivor.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving

I guess I should have posted this when it was the holiday, but I worked the holiday and weekend so didn't think of posting then. I also went to see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra directed by John Williams with my daughter followed by a night in a Chicago hotel after the holiday, so it wasn't all work, it was also some play that delayed this post!

I am thankful for so many things. I'm thankful for the family times I am able to share with my husband and kids. I'm thankful I am here to watch my kids grow up. I am thankful for my health. I am very, very thankful to be an almost 7 year survivor of what some call "the kiss of death", signet ring appendiceal cancer.

But what I am especially grateful for is the opportunity and purpose my survival has offered me. I struggled as a survivor for a long time not so much with survivor guilt as with an obsessive need to find purpose in my survial. I drove my best friend and a few others nuts when I incessantly talked about needing to find purpose in my life.

When I finally made the decision to muddle through creating a web site, I never knew, I never thought for a moment of the gifts I would be given in return, the people I would meet as a result. I never anticipated the purpose I would realize as a result of my having had cancer. So many of you who have contacted me have inspired me greatly and given my life a new meaning. I'm sure this sounds strange to some, but I wouldn't go back to my before cancer life if I could now. My life is so much richer now than it was before cancer.

I thank all of you I've met while on this journey, you've all enriched my life and given meaning to what was once a very tough journey.

No comments: